Saturday, October 10, 2009

Marina, 5th Grade - "My Trip to California"


During the summer I went to California with my family. My uncle got married, and we were invited for a celebration brunch for his marriage. During the flight, I read more than 100 pages of "Twilight". It was great how I got to read so many pages. The flight was 6 hours and felt long, and I was glad when we arrived at my grandfather's house where we would stay.


The next day, we went to Hollywood. We saw the Kodak Theatre and Chinese Theatre. I thought it was so cool how movie stars put handprints in front of the Chinese Theatre. I recognized a few people I heard of, Shirley Temple, Jackie Cooper, and Warren Beatty. From there, we were able to see the "Hollywood" sign on the hills and we took many pictures.


On Saturday, we went to the Disneyland Hotel Goofy's restaurant, where the brunch was taken place. The restaurant was a buffet, and the food was delicious. After the meal, we went to Disneyland. I went on many rides. My 4 year - old brother was really scared of "Haunted Mansion", and he still whines about it!


The following day, my uncles and aunts and my cousin all came to my grandfather's house for a barbeque. Since I'm turning 11 on August 19th, they gave me a surprise birthday party. I thought it was wonderful having the whole family come together. I got a chess set, a DS game, and many more. It was a very fine day for me.


My grandfather has a book about my ancestors, and he told me that my family tree can be traced to a thousand years ago! I heard that my family was well known back then, and had a successful business. About 200 years ago, one of my ancestors tried to start a paper company in Japan. He bought a paper making machine from the US to be shipped to Japan, but the ship sank on the way and the business failed. I was sad to hear the story but was amazed at how my family started such a long time ago.


I had a lot of great times at California, and I wish that I could go back there some time again!