Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Book Buddies- A Library Program


Book Buddies was a program we had in the Spring. Kindergartners and first graders honed their reading skills by reading to older boys and girls.

Older Buddy Tommy, 4th Grade

Book Buddies is a program where little buddies (usually 5 or 6 year olds) come in and read to older kids (usually 4th or 5th graders). The way it helps the little buddies is that the older buddies listen and help the little buddies if they cannot read a word. But it isn’t just the little kids reading. The older buddies read to the younger buddies as well. This is basically a Book Buddies session, the little buddy comes in, then he/she reads a book, then I read a book to him/her.

I think it is fun because you get to meet a new buddy each week.

* * *

Older Buddy Olivia, 6th Grade

I liked being an older buddy because it was fun watching your younger buddy improve on his/her reading. It’s fun because you get to pick out books that you think your younger buddy will like. I guess I picked out all the right books because my younger buddy was awesome and loved the books I read. Your younger buddy looks up to you and listens to you when you read. I would definitely be an older buddy again!! :-)

* * *

Younger Buddy Samantha, KG

What did you like about the Book Buddies Program?

Reading with Olivia because she was nice

What was your favorite book and why did you like it?

Sea Chest. It was about a grandma when she was a little girl. She found a sea chest and inside was a baby who she named Seaborne.

Thanks for a great program.

* * *

Younger Buddy, Maya, KG

I really liked Book Buddies. My favorite part was reading the books and seeing all the different books every week.