Monday, July 20, 2009

Two Views on "Battle of the Books"


Amanda, 5th Grade

The battle of the books is a program, that I would like to continue next year. It helped me to read different styles of books that normally I wouldn’t pick off the shelf. I didn’t know how good an author Michael Morpurgo was until I read Kensuke’s Kingdom for my team. Battle of the Books also helped me realize how important team work is for a competition. In the home room battle some of the teams performed poorly because certain members didn’t read their books. My team made it to the final round! Then we realized one of our team mates was sick that day. Everyone kept pressuring me to find the answers since I was the captain of our team. We did not move up to the national battle because we were relying on that person to read his books and be there. It wasn’t his fault that he was sick but it was hard to succeed without him. So, to sum it all up, Battle of the books helped me learn to try new things, be a leader and that teamwork is very, very, very important.


Elizabeth, 7th Grade

Not too long ago, my school held its annual "Battle of the Books" competition. Battle of the Books is a contest in which students make up teams of about four to six people, and then they read all of the books on a list. Then, once a week during lunch, the students who are on the teams meet with each other and have a competition to see who can answer the most questions about the books. A question would be like this: "In which book does the main character make up an imaginary camp called "Camp fun and Games"? Answer: Holes by Louis Sachar. All of these practice competitions at my school build up to the final, interschool contest. I was in the number one Battle of the Books team for my grade, so we got to participate in the ultimate contest. We competed against many other teams from different schools. My team was in the top two, and at the end of the competition, we brought home a second place trophy. Battle of the Books is a competition that all students do in Lafayette, but it is a voluntary club in the middle school. Battle of the books is very fun because you are with your friends,and it also introduces you to new books. Some of this year's seventh grade books for the Battle of the Books were:

- They Cage the Animals at Night by Jennings M. Burch
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
- Hoot by Carl Hiaason
- Travel Team by Mike Lupica

If you're a kid, think about joining this club!